Summary of Service
The RE(ACT) Community is a platform where certain users ("Project Creators") run campaigns to fund research projects to raise money from other users (“Backers”). Through the Site, email, websites, and other media, the Service makes accessible various content, including, but not limited to, videos, photographs, images, artwork, graphics, audio clips, comments, data, text, software, scripts, projects, other material and information, and associated trademarks and copyrightable works (collectively, “Content”). Project Creators, Backers, and other visitors to and users of the Service (collectively, “Users”) may have the ability to contribute, add, create, upload, submit, distribute, facilitate the distribution of, collect, post, or otherwise make accessible ("Submit") Content. “User Submissions” means any Content Submitted by Users.
Acceptance of Terms
The Community reserves the right to change, suspend, or discontinue the Service (including, but not limited to, the availability of any feature, database, or Content) at any time for any reason. The Community may also impose limits on certain features and services or restrict your access to parts or all of the Service without notice or liability.
The Service is available only to individuals who are at least 18 years old (and at least the legal age in your jurisdiction). You represent and warrant that if you are an individual, you are at least 18 years old and of legal age in your jurisdiction to form a binding contract, and that all registration information you submit is accurate and truthful. The Community reserves the right to ask for proof of age from you and your account may be suspended until satisfactory proof of age is provided. The Community may, in its sole discretion, refuse to offer the Service to any person or entity and change its eligibility criteria at any time. This provision is void where prohibited by law and the right to access the Service is revoked in those jurisdictions.
Rules and Conduct
- infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity, or other right of any other person or entity, or violates any Swiss law or contract;
- you know is false, misleading, or inaccurate;
- is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, tortious, obscene, offensive, profane, or invasive of another's privacy;
- constitutes unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or promotional material or any junk mail, spam, or chain letters;
- contains software viruses or any other computer codes, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, limit, or interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any system, data, password, or other information of the Community or any third party;
- is made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or
- impersonates any person or entity, including any employee or representative of the Community.
Additionally, you shall not: (i) take any action that imposes or may impose (as determined by the Community in its sole discretion) an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Community’s or its third-party providers’ infrastructure; (ii) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Service or any activities conducted on the Service; (iii) bypass any measures the Community may use to prevent or restrict access to the Service (or other accounts, computer systems, or networks connected to the Service); (iv) run Maillist, Listserv, or any form of auto-responder or "spam" on the Service; or (v) use manual or automated software, devices, or other processes to "crawl" or "spider" any page of the Site.
You shall not directly or indirectly: (i) decipher, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to derive any source code or underlying ideas or algorithms of any part of the Service, except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such restriction; (ii) modify, translate, or otherwise create derivative works of any part of the Service; or (iii) copy, rent, lease, distribute, or otherwise transfer any of the rights that you receive hereunder. You shall abide by all applicable local, state, national, and international laws and regulations.
Project Creators agree to not abuse other users' personal information. Abuse is defined as using personal information for any purpose other than those explicitly specified in the Project Creator’s Project, or is not related to fulfilling delivery of a product or service explicitly specified in the Project Creator’s Project.
The RE(ACT) Community is a platform where Project Creators run campaigns to fund research projects on rare and orphan diseases to raise money from Backers. By creating a fundraising campaign on The RE(ACT) Community, you as the Project Creator are offering the public the opportunity to enter into a contract with you. By backing a fundraising campaign on the RE(ACT) Community, you as the Backer accept that offer and the contract between Backer and Project Creator is formed. The RE(ACT) Community is not a party to that agreement between the Backer and Project Creator. All dealings are solely between Users.
By backing or creating a fundraising campaign on the RE(ACT) Community, you agree to be bound by this entire Agreement, including the following terms:
- Backers agree to provide their payment information at the time they pledge to a campaign. The payment will be collected at or after the campaign deadline and only if the amount of money pledged as of the deadline is at least equal to the fundraising goal. The amount Backers pledge is the amount they will be charged.
- Backers consent to the RE(ACT) Community and its payments partners authorizing or reserving a charge on their payment card or other payment method for any amount up to the full pledge at any time between the pledge and collection of the funds.
- Backers agree to have sufficient funds or credit available at the campaign deadline to ensure that the pledge will be collectible.
- Backers may increase, decrease, or cancel their pledge at any time during the fundraising campaign, except that they may not cancel or reduce their pledge if the campaign is in its final 24 hours and the cancellation or reduction would drop the campaign below its goal.
- The Estimated Delivery Date listed on each reward is not a promise to fulfill by that date, but is merely an estimate of when the Project Creator hopes to fulfill by.
- Project Creators agree to make a good faith attempt to fulfill each reward by its Estimated Delivery Date.
- For all campaigns, the RE(ACT) Community gives to the Project Creator each Backer’s User ID and pledge amount. For successful campaigns, the RE(ACT) Community additionally gives to the Project Creator each Backer’s name and email.
- The RE(ACT) Community does not offer refunds. A Project Creator is not required to grant a Backer’s request for a refund unless the Project Creator is unable or unwilling to fulfill the reward.
- Project Creators are required to fulfill all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill.
- Project Creators may cancel or refund a Backer’s pledge at any time and for any reason, and if they do so, are not required to fulfill the reward.
- Because of occasional failures of payments from Backers, the RE(ACT) Community cannot guarantee the receipt by Project Creators of the amount pledged minus fees.
- The RE(ACT) Community and its payments partners will remove their fees before transmitting proceeds of a campaign. Fees may vary depending on region and other factors.
- The RE(ACT) Community reserves the right to cancel a pledge at any time and for any reason.
- The RE(ACT) Community reserves the right to reject, cancel, interrupt, remove, or suspend a campaign at any time and for any reason. The RE(ACT) Community is not liable for any damages as a result of any of those actions. The RE(ACT) Community’s policy is not to comment on the reasons for any of those actions.
- Project Creators should not take any action in reliance on having their project posted on the Site or having any of the money pledged until they have the ability to withdraw and spend the money. There may be a delay between the end of a successful fundraising campaign and access to the funds.
The RE(ACT) Community is not liable for any damages or loss incurred related to any use of the Service. The RE(ACT) Community is under no obligation to become involved in disputes between any Users, or between Users and any third party arising in connection with the use of the Service. This includes, but is not limited to, delivery of goods and services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties, or representations associated with campaigns on the Site. The RE(ACT) Community does not oversee the performance or punctuality of projects. The Community does not endorse any User Submissions. You release the RE(ACT) Community, its officers, employees, agents, and successors in rights from claims, damages, and demands of every kind, known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, disclosed or undisclosed, arising out of or in any way related to such disputes and the Service.
Fees and Payments
Joining the RE(ACT) Community is free. However, we do charge fees for certain services. When you use a service that has a fee you have an opportunity to review and accept the fees that you will be charged. Changes to fees are effective after we provide you with notice by posting the changes on the Site. You are responsible for paying all fees and taxes associated with your use of the Service.
Funds pledged by Backers are collected by PayPal. The RE(ACT) Community is not responsible for the performance of PayPal Payments.
The Service may permit you to link to other websites or resources on the internet, and other websites or resources may contain links to the Site. When you access third-party websites, you do so at your own risk. Those other websites are not under the Community's control, and you acknowledge that the Community is not liable for the content, functions, accuracy, legality, appropriateness, or any other aspect of those other websites or resources. The inclusion on another website of any link to the Site does not imply endorsement by or affiliation with the Community. You further acknowledge and agree that the Community shall not be liable for any damage related to the use of any content, goods, or services available through any third-party website or resource.
Content and License
You agree that the Service contains Content provided by the Community and its partners and Users and that the Content may be protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, trade secrets, or other rights and laws. You shall abide by and maintain all copyright and other legal notices, information, and restrictions contained in any Content accessed through the Service.
The Community grants to each User of the Service a worldwide, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable and non-transferable license to use and reproduce the Content, solely for personal, non-commercial use. Use, reproduction, modification, distribution, or storage of any Content for other than personal, non-commercial use is prohibited without prior written permission from the Community, or from the copyright holder. You shall not sell, license, rent, or otherwise use or exploit any Content for commercial use or in any way that violates any third-party right.
By Submitting User Submissions on the Site or otherwise through the Service, you agree to the following terms:
- The Community will not have any ownership rights over your User Submissions. However, the Community needs the following license to perform and market the Service on your behalf and on behalf of its other Users and itself. You grant to the Community the worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable right to (and to allow others acting on its behalf to) (i) use, edit, modify, prepare derivative works of, reproduce, host, display, stream, transmit, playback, transcode, copy, feature, market, sell, distribute, and otherwise fully exploit your User Submissions and your trademarks, service marks, slogans, logos, and similar proprietary rights (collectively, the "Trademarks") in connection with (a) the Service, (b) the Community’s (and its successors' and assigns’) businesses, (c) promoting, marketing, and redistributing part or all of the Site (and derivative works thereof) or the Service in any media formats and through any media channels (including, without limitation, third-party websites); (ii) take whatever other action is required to perform and market the Service; (iii) allow its Users to stream, transmit, playback, download, display, feature, distribute, collect, and otherwise use the User Submissions and Trademarks in connection with the Service; and (iv) use and publish, and permit others to use and publish, the User Submissions, Trademarks, names, likenesses, and personal and biographical materials of you and the members of your group, in connection with the provision or marketing of the Service. The foregoing license grant to the Community does not affect your other ownership or license rights in your User Submissions, including the right to grant additional licenses to your User Submissions.
- You are publishing your User Submission, and you may be identified publicly by your name or User ID in association with your User Submission.
- You grant to each User a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Service, and to use, edit, modify, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions solely for personal, non-commercial use.
- You further agree that your User Submissions will not contain third-party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant the RE(ACT) Community all of the license rights granted herein.
- The use or other exploitation of User Submissions by the Community and Users as contemplated by this Agreement will not infringe or violate the rights of any third party, including without limitation any privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- The Community shall have the right to delete, edit, modify, reformat, excerpt, or translate any of your User Submissions.
- All information publicly posted or privately transmitted through the Site is the sole responsibility of the person from which that content originated.
- The Community will not be liable for any errors or omissions in any Content.
- The Community cannot guarantee the identity of any other Users with whom you may interact while using the Service.
- All Content you access through the Service is at your own risk and you will be solely responsible for any resulting damage or loss to any party.
In accordance with the Swiss law, the RE(ACT) Community has adopted a policy of, in appropriate circumstances, terminating User accounts that are repeat infringers of the intellectual property rights of others. The RE(ACT) Community also may terminate User accounts even based on a single infringement.
The RE(ACT) Community will remove infringing materials in accordance with the Swiss law if properly notified that Content infringes copyright. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please notify the RE(ACT) Community by contacting us. Your email must contain the following information:
- an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest;
- a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
- a description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the Site, sufficient for the RE(ACT) Community to locate the material;
- your address, telephone number, and email address;
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a statement by you that the information in your notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf.
If you believe that your work has been removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification, please contact us. Your counter-notice must contain the following information:
- a physical or electronic signature of the user of the Services;
- identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled;
- a statement made under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material; and
- the subscriber's name, address, telephone number, and a statement that the subscriber consents to any judicial district in which the service provider may be found, and that the user will accept service of process from the person who provided notification under subscriber or an agent of such person.
Under the Swiss law, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material is infringing or was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability.
If you fail to comply with these notice requirements, your notification or counter-notification may not be valid.
The Community has no special relationship with or fiduciary duty to you. You acknowledge that the Community has no duty to take any action regarding any of the following: which Users gain access to the Site; what Content Users access through the Site; what effects the Content may have on Users; how Users may interpret or use the Content; or what actions Users may take as a result of having been exposed to the Content. The Community cannot guarantee the authenticity of any data or information that Users provide about themselves or their campaigns and projects. You release the Community from all liability for your having acquired or not acquired Content through the Site. The Site may contain, or direct you to websites containing, information that some people may find offensive or inappropriate. The Community makes no representations concerning any Content on the Site, and the Community is not liable for the accuracy, copyright compliance, legality, or decency of material contained on the Service.
The Community does not guarantee that any Content will be made available through the Service. The Community has no obligation to monitor the Service or Content. The Community reserves the right to, at any time, for any reason, and without notice: (i) cancel, reject, interrupt, remove, or suspend a campaign or project; (ii) remove, edit, or modify any Content, including, but not limited to, any User Submission; and (iii) remove or block any User or User Submission. The RE(ACT) Community reserves the right not to comment on the reasons for any of these actions.
The Service is provided “as is” and “as available” and is without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of title, non-infringement, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose, and any warranties implied by any course of performance or usage of trade, all of which are expressly disclaimed. The Community, and its directors, employees, agents, suppliers, partners, and content providers do not warrant that: (a) the Service will be secure or available at any particular time or location; (b) any defects or errors will be corrected; (c) any content or software available at or through the Service is free of viruses or other harmful components; or (d) the results of using the Service will meet your requirements. Your use of the Service is solely at your own risk. Some states or countries do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
The Community makes no guaranty of confidentiality or privacy of any communication or information transmitted on the Site or any website linked to the Site. The Community will not be liable for the privacy of email addresses, registration and identification information, disk space, communications, confidential or trade-secret information, or any other Content stored on the Community’s equipment, transmitted over networks accessed by the Site, or otherwise connected with your use of the Service. The Community will not be liable for the privacy of email addresses, registration and identification information, disk space, communications, confidential or trade-secret information, or any other Content stored on the Community’s equipment, transmitted over networks accessed by the Site, or otherwise connected with your use of the Service.
Limitation of Liability
In no event shall the Community, nor its directors, employees, agents, partners, suppliers, or content providers, be liable under contract, tort, strict liability, negligence, or any other legal or equitable theory with respect to the service (i) for any lost profits, data loss, cost of procurement of substitute goods or services, or special, indirect, incidental, punitive, or consequential damages of any kind whatsoever, substitute goods or services (however arising), (ii) for any bugs, viruses, trojan horses, or the like (regardless of the source of origination), or (iii) for any direct damages in excess of (in the aggregate) one hundred Swiss Francs (CHF 100.00). Some states or countries do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations and exclusions may not apply to you.
Accessing the Service is prohibited from territories where the Content is illegal. If you access the Service from other locations, you do so at your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
Electronic Delivery, Notice Policy, and Your Consent
By using the Services, you consent to receive from the RE(ACT) Community all communications including notices, agreements, legally required disclosures, or other information in connection with the Services (collectively, "Contract Notices") electronically. The RE(ACT) Community may provide the electronic Contract Notices by posting them on the Site. If you desire to withdraw your consent to receive Contract Notices electronically, you must discontinue your use of the Services.
These Terms of Service (and any further rules, policies, or guidelines incorporated by reference) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the Swiss laws, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law, and without the United Nations Convention of Controls for International Sale of Goods. You agree that the Community and its Services are deemed a passive website that does not give rise to personal jurisdiction over the RE(ACT) Community or its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, successors, assigns, employees, agents, directors, officers or shareholders, either specific or general, in any jurisdiction other than Lausanne, Switzerland. You agree that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to these terms, or your use or non-use of the Services, shall be filed only in the Canton or federal courts located in Switzerland and you hereby consent and submit to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. You hereby irrevocably waive any right you may have to trial by jury in any dispute, action, or proceeding.
Integration and Severability
Updated: March 2014